Saturday, December 1, 2012

Horror

Coraline by Neil Gaiman was my choice for Horror as this is not a genre I am fond of.  The cover of my book is not the same as pictured above.  I could not find a copy of the correct cover.

Coraline was made into a 3D movie which I would not go to see as I did not like the witch in Snow White.  Coraline is the story of a little girl who discovers a door int her old house that leads until another existance.  She had to find out what was on the other side of the door.  She found another mother and father who thought rats were pets and a cat was a monster.  In this other world, the cat could talk.  The other mother wanted to sew buttons onto Coraline as eyes.  In fact, she kidnapped Coraline's real parents.  When this other mother put Coraline into a closet, she discovered 3 others whose souls were stolen.  Coraline winds up challenging the other mother - if she can recover the souls and find her parent's she has to go free.  Of course there has to be a happy ending.

I am glad my bookstore recommended this book.  It is well writen.   I had the pleasure of listening to Mr. Gaiman speak at a Science Fiction Convention so it was good to read something he had writte.

I am glad this book had a happy ending as I would have had trouble sleeping afterward if it had not turned out ok.  I know this was written for someone much younger to read but I really liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment