Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Reading Out Loud

From September until May from 2pm-3pm, I can usually be found in Wellsboro, PA.  At the present time, "Acting Up" meets at the Hamilton-Gibson House.  Today, my husband, Neil, decided to join me.
I do not have children, so I do not have much opportunity to read to others.  Acting Up allows those who attend, time to read out loud.  We are supposed to have fun and nothing you do is wrong.

Today, we were reading some of David Sedaris' writings.   The whole room laughed when Neil read a line about Madonna and Michael Jackson breastfeeding.  It just seemed to impossible to image and was funny.  Some of the words were impossible to read as they were much like that vowel-less creature that is found in the comics.  Sometimes, I have had the opportunity to use accents or a deeper voice while reading.  When asked, those who want to, get the opportunity to read in front of larger groups, these are not cold reads but much practiced ones.  The group is then called "Acting Out."  Anyone is welcome (as long as they are over 55) to come and read or just listen sometimes.  It is a wonderful way to spend an hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment